The Disability Interactive Process for Community College Districts
Purchase WorkbookDocument Format:
This workbook addresses the full range of issues and obligations faced by employers when dealing with disabled employees. Additionally, the workbook provides materials for undertaking effective interactive process meetings.
- General Principles
- Limitations on the Number of Temporary Faculty Members
- Classification of Temporary Faculty Members
- Historical Background
- Case Law Since Peralta
- Basic Rules
- When Temporary Hours May Advance an Employee Toward Tenure
- Other Relevant Education Code Statutes
- Impact of Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Provisions in Collective Bargaining Agreements Are Not Preempted by the Education Code
- Obligation to Bargain Reemployment Preferences for Part-Time, Temporary Faculty
- Impact of ACA on Temporary Faculty Members
- Who is a Full-Time Employee?
- How Should Districts Calculate “Hours of Service” for Temporary Faculty Members?
- What is the Classified Service?
- Non-Academic Employees
- Definition of “Classification”
- Rights and Responsibilities of Classified Employees
- Why Go Outside the Classified Service?
- When Can You Go Outside the Classified Service?
- Merit vs. Non-Merit Distinction
- Temporary Employment Positions Specifically Excluded from Classified Service
- Employee in Regular Status Who Reduces Time
- Must All Work That is Neither Academic nor Exempt Be Performed by Classified Employees?
- A Note on Employees in Categorically Funded Programs
- Personal Services Contracts
- To Achieve Cost Savings When All of the Following Conditions Are Met:
- Contract Mandated by the Legislature
- Services Not Available Within the District
- Services Incidental to a Contract for Purchase or Lease of Real Property
- Contracts Necessary to Accomplish Community College District Goals and Purposes
- Emergency Appointments
- Equipment or Materials Not Available from District
- Services are of Urgent, Temporary, or Occasional Nature
- Under What Circumstances Can a Temporary (Exempt) Employee Become a Classified Employee?
This document is provided as a benefit to Liebert Library subscribers and cannot be shared outside of their organization. The information contained within is a template only and is not designed to address the specific and unique issues, internal rules, practices, and/or governing documents that might be in place at your organization. You should always consult with legal counsel prior to implementation of any documents.
* Discounted Prices are available only for our Premium Members.